Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New Balance Victoria Half Ironman 2009 - Race report

Before I start.....

For a long time, I wanted to do triathlons. I remember watching the Ironman World Championships as a kid and decided that this was going to be something I would do...one day. A few years ago, I told my wife I would be an Ironman before I turn 45 and last year, after watching the Half Ironman at Elk Lake I decided it was now time to do what I said I would do! I always do what I say I will do....always! In October 2008, on my birthday, I joined Island Triathlon...a wonderful group of athletes and coaches to train with. I learned how to swim (I could not even swim 50m before I joined), got fitter on the bike and learned how to run faster than I ever could imagine.

June 21st, 2009: New Balance Victoria Half Ironman

4AM...alarm! I get up...excited and ready for action! I have been carbo loading during the days before and I am confident.

5:30 AM...I get marked (I am 514), get my timing chip and set up my transition. Everything looks good, I decide not to be obsessive-compulsive about this like I was in Sooke. My transition space is nice and clean, everything is there...I leave to put my wetsuit on.

6:15 AM...I have my wetsuit on and I am getting nervous about this 1.9km swim. There are a lot of athletes there and everybody will start together...will I be kicked in the face? Will anyone try to drown me?


6:42 AM...I am in the water, waiting....I saw the cannon and I know it is just about to go

6:45 AM...BOOM!!!! Swim time!!! Here I go...this is it!

6:46 AM - 7:20AM...I am swimming and there is a lot of people around me. In a bold move I decide to get between two athletes in order to pass them. My heart is racing and I can barely breathe. I try to breathe every third stroke but I found it impossible to do...what the hell...I will breathe every second stroke. I pass the first buoy, the second one and I get to the triangle where I have to turn. At the triangle the crowd compacts and there is very little room to do anything...even swim! I have to constantly repeat to myself this mantra: Calm down! Calm down!

On the second half of the swim I feel way more comfortable and I know the swim finish line is near. Last buoy! The exit is just meters away...I feel dizzy! I swim until my hands rake the bottom and then I get up. I really feel weird...this is a very strange sensation...never felt this before! I see familiar faces, I hear Crys, I see Peggy, I see Kim from Island Triathlon....I peel my wet suit and run to transition (T1). I feel like I just landed on another planet...my head is spinning a bit!

OFFICIAL SWIM TIME: 36 minutes 17 seconds (1:55/100m)

T1

Nothing special to add here....too long of a transition but a good transition nevertheless. I get on my bike and off I go...for the next 3 hours my Opus Bike will be my best friend...and it did not disappoint me!

Bike (87 km)
Very often I have a song playing in my mind and as I went for the first hill, I have this Supertramp song stuck in my head..."Take the Long Way Home"...how appropriate! I get up to speed quickly and my legs feel fine except for tight calves.
Uphill...downhill...uphill...downhill...This is going to kill my legs! I pass another Island Triathlon athlete, Fergus. He gives me a very wise advice: "Slow down...you still have a long way to go"....Take the long way home!

The weird thing about the first 20-30km is that I felt almost no pain, going uphill seemed effortless (not that I was going very fast)...adrenalin I guess...but adrenalin can only take you so far... On the second loop I feelt pain in my rear end and I had to stand on my pedals to stretch. This pain became my companion for the next 45 km...

On fast section another song popped in my mind: Satch Boogie by Joe Satriani....fast!

OFFICIAL BIKE TIME: 2h 56 minutes 50 seconds (29.5 km/h...not so bad on a hilly course)

T2

Off the bike, remove cycling shoes...put on running shoes, remove helmet..put on my racing hat....I am outta there!

RUN 20 km
I know Elk Lake very well and I love running there. But this is different! I am running on totally knackered legs...I tell myself..HOW AM I GOING TO DO THIS? I start to run, slowly..."cement legs" can not go very fast....I know I will accelerate in a few minutes but WHEN? Sometimes LIFE takes charge and sends you unexpected help. This help came when Lysanne (an amazing triathlete and friend) passed me...Hey DOM...wanna run with me? Sure! Lysanne and I have very similar paces when running is the only thing on the menu...but she is a stronger athlete than I am (and much younger I have to say). I run with her for 10-15 minutes but eventually I had to walk a bit. The good thing is that this proved to me that I could go faster..and that's exactly what I did! The remaining km were very difficult, cramps, pain in the foot, pain in the knees but I decided I was not going to slow down. I had a good pace under the circumstances and I am happy with this!

OFFICIAL RUN TIME: 1h 40 minutes 41 seconds (5minutes 03 seconds / km).. I can run much faster than this...usually!

Conclusion

I am happy with this competition...I am EXACTLY in the middle of my age group...not that I really care but it is nice to know that I worked hard and it paid off. I have to say this...Thalia Castillo is the Head Coach of Island Triathlon and she was everywhere on the course...I could hear my name being called everywhere! She came early for her athletes. She made a HUGE difference in my training and part of my success goes to her. Thanks Thalia!!!

4 comments:

Les officiels de l'APQ said...

Tabarouette! C'est du champion ton aventure. Je t'admire... courir presque 2 heures... Ayoye... Je chiale quand j'ai 1h de cardio à faire... Toi tu t'es clanché une nage longue distance de près 40 minutes et du bicycle près de 3... Tu es mon champion! Je vais penser à toi la prochaine fois que j'aurais du cardio à faire. Demain, quand j'vais pomper du "iron" j'en donnerai pour toi. Cette année, je prends ça mollo, je vais me ressourcer et revenir en lionne "Top shape" l'an prochain.
Lâches pas Do!

Unknown said...

Félicitation Dominic !!!

françois said...

Bravo Do!!!

l'aide psychologique de ton entraineure a une valeur inestimable!!!

lincoln said...

Congratulations Dominic! It is nice to see that all that hard work payed off.